There’s a Mouse in my House!

Is something rustling through your apartment at night? Are bags of dry goods being subject to nibbling holes? Are you finding small holes in your dirty clothing? Sounds like a case of mice. Urban mice are small rodents with big ears and thin tails. They are generally grey or brown in coloring and are considerably smaller than their nastier vermin counterpart, the rat. As always, it is your landlord’s responsibility to clear out any pests.


  1. Call your landlord and inform them that your apartment is infested as soon as you see one mouse; do not wait for the problem to solve itself or wait until you see more than one. Once notified your landlord must act immediately to correct the problem; this may require your landlord to hire an exterminator that can completely eliminate all of the mice.
  2. In the meantime, place any food that may come into contact with the mice in sealed food containers.
    Tip: this is a generally good practice to prevent any pests from chowing down on your food.
  3. Place any dirty laundry in either sealed plastic bins or hang your clothing in bags away from the floor.

    If your landlord does not act or the problem persists with extermination or traps:

  4. Write a demand letter and send it through registered mail requesting further action for the removal of the pests.

    If problems persist:

  5. Open a file for a hearing at the Régie du logement.
  6. Fax your local city inspector the demand letter you sent to your landlord.

For more information consult this Handout on Rats and Mice from the Government of Canada.


I’m pretty sure the mice are coming from my neighbour’s apartment, what should I do?

When the extermination is performed on your apartment the exterminator should be employed to exterminate the whole building. If the exterminator or your landlord does not deal with the entire building’s mice problem the city inspector will find the mice in any adjacent dwellings.

Can my landlord intervene at any point during this process?

Yes, your landlord can intervene. They are allowed to intervene even if you were the one who called the exterminator.

What if I send my landlord a letter but not through registered mail?

This will not count as an official complaint nor as officially notifying the landlord. This means that within the legal process it is as though you have not said anything i.e the problem does not exist.

Can I ask to be reimbursed for any damaged items (infiltrated food, clothing with holes) in my apartment due to the pests?

You can always ask your landlord for compensation in your demand letter. If they refuse to compensate you for any damages you can request for a hearing at the Régie du logement- the tribunal will then decide whether or not you should be allocated compensation.