Got ants in your pants?

Ants can range from 1 millimetre to 13 millimetres in size and are generally black, brown, red or yellow in colour. While these little pests seem to be everywhere, don’t worry, the vast majority of species of ants are harmless. Even so, it is your landlord’s responsibility to make your home ant-free!


  1. Call your landlord and inform them that your apartment is infested as soon as you see ants; do not wait for the problem to go away by itself. Your landlord should act immediately and either call an exterminator or purchase traps for your apartment.
  2. In the meantime, place any food that may come into contact with the ants in sealed food containers.
    Tip: this is a generally good practice to prevent any pests from chowing down on your food.If your landlord does not act or the problem persists with extermination or traps:
  3. Write a demand letter and send it through registered mail requesting further action for the removal of the pests. If problems persist:
  4. Open a file for a hearing at the Régie du logement.
  5. Fax your local city inspector the demand letter you sent your landlord.

For more information:


I’m pretty sure the ants are coming from my neighbour’s apartment, what should I do?

When the extermination is performed (or traps are placed) on your apartment whatever procedure should be considered for the whole building. If the exterminator or your landlord don’t deal with the entire building’s ant problem the city inspector will find the ant in any adjacent dwellings.

Can my landlord intervene at any point during this process?

Yes, your landlord can intervene. They are allowed to intervene even if you were the one who called the exterminator.

What if I send my landlord a letter but not through registered mail?

This will not count as an official complaint nor as officially notifying the landlord. This means that within the legal process it is as though you have not said anything i.e the problem does not exist.

Can I ask to be reimbursed for any damaged items (contaminated food) in my apartment due to the pests?

You can always ask your landlord for compensation in your demand letter. If they refuse to compensate you for any damages you can request for a hearing at the Régie du logement- the tribunal will decide whether or not you should be allocated compensation.